Reporting to the Director, Business Development, the Content Development Manager is responsible for developing and implementing a plan that would result in an increase in quality submissions, thus improving the reach and recognition of CSP Journals. This role also conducts ongoing market research and evaluation, and provides reports to the management team as required, solicits new content across various market sectors for CSP Journals, develops and maintains relationships with existing and potential scientific editors, potential researchers and authors, societies, associations and the greater academic community as well as attends scientific conferences to raise the profile of CSP journals to potential authors. Reporting to this position is the Direct Marketing Coordinator.
- Actively solicits new content for journals through various initiatives.
- Liaises regularly with Business Development team to promote products and collaborate in the development of marketing plans.
- Tracks journal citation metrics and prepares and presents reports as necessary.
- Maintains excellent communication with the Editors of the journals and works collaboratively with them on journal promotion or content-related issues.
- Develops and maintains excellent relationships with authors, editors, researchers, societies, etc., within the STM community.
- Serves as key liaison between CSP and partner societies. Work with society representatives to fulfill content-related obligations associated with MoUs, including sponsorships, collaborative projects, renewals, etc.
- Actively seeks out new opportunities for sponsorships, partnerships, and collaborations.
- Develops and maintains expertise in publication of scientific journals, including awareness of issues in scholarly publishing, issues in the academic disciplines covered by the journals, and familiarity with competitive journals. Shares this expertise and information with staff and Editors.
- Makes recommendations regarding advertising, sponsorships, and exhibits.
- Coordinates selected sponsorship activities and manages the budget.
- Staffs marketing booths at scientific society meetings, conferences, and trade shows to promote the journal to potential authors.
- Participates in the development of strategic and operational plans for Canadian Science Publishing with Business Development team.
- Provides guidance and directions in supervising the Direct Marketing Coordinator, managing his/her performance and development.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
1. Bachelor of Science Honours degree in Science or Engineering (preferable) and 2-5 years’ experience in scholarly publishing, or the marketing equivalent if coupled with an emphasis on manuscript/content development.
2. Organized, self-starter with exceptional written, verbal communication.
3. Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability and aptitude to promote organizational products and services in a professional environment.
4. Ability to influence and participate effectively in a team environment as well as work independently.
5. Highly adaptable and client-focused.
6. Ability to conduct accurate research and analysis, determine necessary action plans, achieve results and work to deadlines.
7. Supervisory experience would be considered an asset.
8. Knowledge of journal citation metrics tools such as Web of Science, Scopus, etc. would be an asset.